Kanowna Heritage Trail
... discover Australia’s largest ghost town
The story of the abandoned gold mining town Kanowna (first known as White Feather is relatively unknown to most, yet Kanowna once boasted 12,000 inhabitants in and around its town site - staking its claim as Australia's largest ghost town.
Little remains to mark to passing of this once thriving and important
centre. The Eastern Goldfields Historical Society seeks to rectify this by increasing the public’s awareness of the rich history of this town through the Kanowna Heritage Trail.
- To provide informative and historic interpretation of the abandoned Kanowna Townsite and its inhabitants.
- To upgrade the existing Heritage Trail signage.
- To improve and republish the Heritage Trail booklet.
- Provide access to key locations, via vehicle and pedestrian walkways and tracks.
- Protect existing graves at the original Kanowna Cemetery and promote the Cemetery gold rush story by fencing the site in original fashion.
- Provide the opportunity, (for both visitors and locals alike) to an entertaining and enlightening visit to ‘Australia’s Largest Ghost Town’ via the improved Heritage Trail.
Download the Plan here